Claro Que Yo Me Quedo En Casa

There's a Spanish hashtag that has recently come up, #yomequedoencasa meaning I stay at home, created to promote the practice of well, staying home. Well I'm saying that claro (of course) que me quedo en casa. I'm an introvert, more specifically an INFP. And because of the feelings of anxiety and dread I've managed for most of my life, like many people with anxiety, this new nightmare we're all in almost feels normal or at least familiar within. Also, yo me quedo en casa because I'm fortunate enough not to be homeless, trapped in an abusive relationship, nor am I rooming with dozens of people. I realize that staying home and practicing social distancing cannot always be practiced properly depending on one's circumstances.

As for the term social distancing, I feel that physical distancing is a more accurate way to phrase it since many of us are constantly checking in on each other and being quite social regardless. Many people are ignoring the physical distancing as well but that's another story.

March 16th was the last time I went to work, not wanting to come back. They made plans to work remotely but laid off several people as well, including myself. They were already losing a lot of funds and since I'm only considered an essential employee in the actual, physical office, not remotely, the let me go. They want me to come back "after all this blows over" but I have my doubts that will happen anytime soon if at all. My transcription job has a lot less jobs available now. There used to be hundreds posted. Now we're lucky if we see two or three. And they get claimed instantly. You can see the bar getting hit with the word CLAIMED all of a sudden, stamped all over the job post, deeming it untouchable and inaccessible.

People try to find the silver lining in all this; the closing of stores, businesses, schools, games, concerts, and flights saying that the planet is healing, which is either followed by comments agreeing or saying that that's a horrible way to put it considering that many people are dying in the process. I see both sides. There's an Italian doctor who describes the virus as stupid still, because it hasn't yet learned that it's supposed to learn to live with the body it's inhabiting, not to kill it off completely, in turn destroying themselves.

Celebrities who film themselves in their lavish homes say that we're all in this together are getting backlashes of, we don't want you singing kumbaya and Imagine to us, you need to step up and really help because as much as you don't want to think this, it is turning into a class war. Yes COVID doesn't discriminate as Tom Hanks and Prince Charles for example have tested positive, but when you're in a certain class, odds of you getting better treatment are obvious.

I've been home drawing, playing music and movies, cooking, organizing, and generally just making the most of this time indoors and homeschooling. But running out of food and basic supplies is one of my big concerns.

There was a comic that had a young woman on the couch watching TV with her dog, with the caption, "This would be great if it weren't so horrible" and that pretty much sums up how I feel. I live in the epicenter of the epicenter and constantly hear sirens out my window. More than before. So far I don't miss the outside or how things used to be. This has been a major learning and turning point and we can't or shouldn't go back to the way "it used to be" because that's what led us here in the first place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beyond the Flight

Winter Wondertime- Time for my artist statement, what?

Remember November